Thursday, September 26, 2013

MY Pros and Cons of baby wearing

So, Leiland is now 2 years and 4 1/2 months old. I still wear him on occasion and I do love it.

My only carrier with him as a newborn was a moby style wrap. Its a stretchy wrap. It never bothered me having to wrap it, pretty easy. I liked that I could wear it to a store and just load him in when needed. I didn't like wrapping it in a parking lot because I could never keep the material off the floor. The downside to that style wrap for me was Leiland would sweat like crazy in it. He was a hot body as am I and I wanted to use it more then I actually could. I also had a lot of issues with my chunky boy sinking. I could start with him up high when I started a trip in Joanns and by the end he was down a good 18-20 inches lower. So that was disappointing to me. I did also like the option to face him out in that carrier and be able to build him a seat so the pressure wasn't on his hips. Thats the big reason most new carriers don't forward face, it is terrible for their hips.

The other carrier I love is my ergo. They are pricey but worth every penny. I have been using it since he was about 4 months. I never bought the infant insert for it and his couldn't open his hips well so I would wear him on my hips. That works for me. As he got bigger he did continue to love it. I liked that it didn't bother my back. I can also wear him on my back and I'd say since 18 months thats the only way I wear him anymore.

Ok so my cons to baby wearing.
 - As he got bigger wearing him on my front became hard because his head was in my face making it hard for me to see. I photograph a lot and it definitely interfered a lot.
 - I still get scared putting him on my back. Its not comfortable to me putting him back there, I always worry I might drop him.
 - I can not carry a diaper bag. Or a purse. The shoulder straps always interfere with me carrying our stuff. Its frustrating. If I wear him in somewhere like target I can just throw it in the cart, but if I go somewhere like the mall, I have no way to really carry my stuff. I think this is my biggest con. AndI found with Leiland I mostly wore him outside the house. I have a feeling the next baby will get more baby wearing in the house. Since well we have a toddler to entertain and take care of.
 -

PROS of baby wearing
 - I love carrying my baby around. I never liked putting Leiland down and sometimes I just needed more close time.
 - Great for a fussy baby
 - GREAT for reflux baby. Leiland puked so much and always preferred upright. So wearing him kept him in the upright position. That was great for us.
 - Hands free - very nice when you have a sick baby who won't let you put them down. I loved that if he was sick and I just HAD to do something, I could still have him with me.
 - Easy bonding for mom or dad. In the beginning its what they know to just go with you everywhere and constantly be moving.

For me I will keep baby wearing. I think this next time around I will also add a nice ring sling in the mix. I have a mesh one for showers and swimming, but I will get a real one this time around. I love carrying my baby and still do it while pregnant. Leiland also loves it still. I can tell when we get to a store if he will be good in the cart. If he throws a fit going in then I ask if he wants to go on my back. Usually its a yes. He doesn't like my front anymore because he likes to be up higher to lay his head on my shoulder. And he can't do that with the ergo. No biggie though.

















No comments:

Post a Comment